116 Pillsbury Hall
Distinguished McKnight University Professor
Head, Newton Horace Winchell School of Earth Sciences
Chair, Department of Earth Sciences
PhD, 1991, University of Washington
As a metamorphic geologist in the Structure, Tectonics, And Metamorphic Petrology (STAMP) research group, I am interested in using metamorphic rocks to reconstruct the chemical and physical processes that drove metamorphism in continental and oceanic crust and that eventually returned these rocks to the Earth’s surface. Ongoing collaboration with Christian Teyssier (UMN) and Patrice Rey (U Sydney) focuses on the dynamics of partially molten crust, including the trajectory of flow (vertical, lateral), magnitude of flow, driving mechanisms, and the thermal and mechanical consequences for continental evolution. I am also currently directing a large, multidisciplinary research project in Turkey (CD-CAT, Continental Dynamics-Central Anatolian Tectonics), to investigate the mantle-to-surface dynamics during the development of a tectonic escape system. I have also long been interested in metamorphic textures; for example, microstructures in garnet and the interaction of deformation and metamorphism in different tectonic settings, from the scale of mineral grains to mountain belts. Major field sites are in the North American Cordillera, Turkey, France, and Norway.
- Earth & its Environments
- Geology & Civilization (freshman seminar)
- Petrology (team-taught)
- Advanced Petrology (team-taught)
- Graduate seminars
- Fossen, H., Teyssier, C., and Whitney, D.L. (2013) Transtensional folding. Journal of Structural Geology, 56, 89-102.
- Gordon, S.M., Whitney, D.L., Teyssier, C., and Fossen, H. (2013) Metamorphic and magmatic history of migmatites hosting eclogite inclusions, Western Gneiss Region, Norway. Lithos, 170-171, 35-53.
- Whitney, D.L., Teyssier, C., Rey, P.F., and Buck, W.R. (2013) Continental and oceanic core complexes. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 125, 273-298; 125th Anniversary review paper.
- Goergen, E.T., and Whitney, D.L. (2012) Corona networks as three-dimensional records of transport scale and pathways during metamorphism. Geology, 40, 183-186.
- Kruckenberg, S.C., Vanderhaeghe, O., Ferre, E.C., Teyssier, C., and Whitney, D.L. (2011) Flow of partially molten crust and the internal dynamics of a migmatite dome, Naxos, Greece. Tectonics, TC3001.
- Rey, P.F., Teyssier, C., Kruckenberg, S.C., and Whitney, D.L. (2011) Viscous collision in channel explains double domes in metamorphic core complexes. Geology, 39, 387-390.
- Whitney, D.L., Teyssier, C., Toraman, E., Seaton, N.C.A., and Fayon, A.K. (2011) Metamorphic and tectonic evolution of a structurally continuous blueschist-to-Barrovian terrane, Sivrihisar Massif, Turkey. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 29, 193-212.
- Teyssier, C., Whitney, D.L., Toraman, E., and Seaton, N.C.A. (2010) Lawsonite vorticity and subduction kinematics. Geology, 38, 1123-1126.
- Rey, P.F., Teyssier, C., and Whitney, D.L. (2010) The limit of channel flow in orogenic plateaux. Lithosphere, 2, 328-332.
- Whitney, D.L., and Seaton, N.C.A. (2010) Garnet polycrystals and the significance of clustered crystallization. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 160, 591-607.
- Gordon, S.M., Bowring, S., Whitney, D.L., and McLean, N. (2010) Time scales of metamorphism, deformation, and crustal melting in a continental arc. Geol Soc Am Bull, 122, 1308-1330.
- McFadden, R.R., Teyssier, C., Siddoway, C., Whitney, D.L., and Fanning, C.M. (2010) Oblique dilation, melt transfer, and gneiss dome emplacement. Geology, 38, 375-378.
- Whitney, D.L., Teyssier, C., and Rey, P.F. (2009) The consequences of crustal melting in continental subduction. Lithosphere, 1, 323-327.
- Seaton, N.C., Whitney, D.L., Teyssier, C., Toraman, E., and Heizler, M.T. (2009) Recrystallization of high-pressure marble (Sivrihisar, Turkey). Tectonophysics, 479, 241-253.
- Rey, P., Teyssier, C., and Whitney, D.L. (2009) The role of partial melting and extensional strain rates in the development of metamorphic core complexes (McMCC). Tectonophysics, 477, 135-144.
- Gordon, S.M., Grove, M., Whitney, D.L., Schmitt, A.K., and Teyssier, C. (2009) Fluid-rock interaction in orogenic crust tracked by zircon depth profiling. Geology, 37, 735-738.
- Rey, P., Teyssier, C., and Whitney, D.L. (2009) Crustal melting and core complex dynamics. Geology, 37, 391-394.
Recent Research Support
- 2012-2016, NSF-Continental Dynamics-Central Anatolian Tectonics (CD-CAT): Surface to mantle dynamics from collision to escape.
- 2011-2014, NSF-Tectonics: Colliding channels and double domes in metamorphic core complexes.
- 2010-2012, NSF-Petrology & Geochemistry, Continental subduction and deep crustal melting.
- 2009-2012, NSF-Tectonics, Titanium in deforming quartz and the thermo-mechanics of detachment and thrust systems.
- 2007-2011, NSF-Tectonics, Field-based analysis of subduction petrofabrics.
Recent Honors and Awards
- Distinguished McKnight University Professor, awarded 2010
- Fellow, Mineralogical Society of America, elected 2005
- Fellow, Geological Society of America, elected 2003
- Best Instructor Award, Geology & Geophysics, IT Student Board, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2006-07
- University of Minnesota McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, 1998-2000
- Mineralogical Society of America Distinguished Lecturer, 1998-1999
- NSF CAREER Award, 1996-2001